Last week we attended a focal point meeting organized by EUs transport department, DG Move. CEF funding of maritime projects was presented.
CEF (Connecting Europe Facility) is a key EU funding instrument to promote growth, jobs and competitiveness through targeted infrastructure investment at European level. CEF is managed by INEA (Innovation and Networks Executive Agency)
For maritime transport, CEF has three focus areas:
- Motorways of the Sea (Mos) – focus on environmental performance, integration with logistics chain and safety/human element
- Maritime Ports – focus on upgrading ports' infrastructures
- Innovation & new technologies – focus on promoting use of alternative fuels
To date MoS has supported 46 actions (projects) with € 383 million, of which € 191 million to Environment, € 140 million to integration/logistics. For environment € 120 million has been granted to LNG and € 55 million to scrubbers and SECA complience.
In total under CEF, 83 projects have been supported with grants totally € 907 million.
Project example: ''NextGen Link''
- Objective: Upgrade of the existing maritime link between two core ports (Turku and Stockholm) and one comprehensive port (Mariehamn) along the Scandinavian-Mediterranean Corridor. It will develop a sustainable maritime transport route, promote green shipping and the use of alternative fuels, as well as port improving port connectivity.
- New LNG-powered ro-pax vessel: 20% lower consumption per cargo unit.
- Infrastructure developments (ITS, traffic arrangements, automated mooring, truck measurement) in the three ports to accommodate the needs from the larger new ro-pax vessel.
- Budget: EUR 42,2 million, 30% CEF contribution
Project example: ''Upgrade of the Rijeka Port infrastructure''
- Objective: Create a larger operational area by the reconstruction of the railway infrastructure connecting the quays and piers of the Rijeka basin.
- Reconstruction of the pavement area necessary for cargo trans-shipment.
- Reconstruction of crane tracked (seas side and land side).
- New and reconstructed rail tracks that connect Rijeka basin to Rijeka railway station.
- Budget: EUR 33,6 million, 85% CEF contribution
CEF focus in the forthcoming period
- Develop/upgrade maritime links – integration of CNCs and smoother operation of logistics chains
- LNG as a marine fuel – support to both supply and demand side
- Innovation in maritime transport - Promote synergies between H2020 and CEF